**One Man's Theatre Journal, Nothing more, Nothing less**

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

WICKED

February 20th, 2007
Pantages Theatre, Hollywood
Musical, we went with Troy


Another Wicked review?
Yes, and for good reason.
The current cast of Wicked at The Pantages is a MUCH stronger one than when the show first came through Los Angeles (summer 2005).

For starters, Megan Hilty as Glinda was not only bubbly and vivacious and genuinely funny, but she could actually hit Kristin Chenoweth's high notes. She milked her role for every drop of humor and appeal without being a ham. We loved her.

Eden Espinosa (Idina's original standby for Elphaba, later starred in the musical Brooklyn) not only had a style and phrasing all her own, but she is quite the intense and expressive actress. I really found this added to the role considerably, and I stopped thinking about Idina and was able to enjoy Eden's performance. That's always the challenge when you see an original cast on Broadway that is so stellar. After that, everything else never holds a candle to the performances. But last night was not the case.

Carol Kane as Madame Morrible definitely took command of the character and was always fun to watch, and John Rubinstein was a more politician-like Wizard of Oz. It was fun to see Adam Wylie on stage again (as Boq), as well as Jenna Leigh Green (the orig. Nessarose). But I have to specially mention Kristoffer Cusick as Fiyero. What he lacked in a Broadway style voice, he made up for with personality and a genuine chemistry with Eden. That was a refreshing change from the last cast at The Pantages.

WICKED is playing an open-ended run at The Pantages. If you love the show or want to see one of the best shows in the last 10 years, don't miss this cast.

~S

2Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Wish I could see it Shephard...I got to see a very very beautiful rendered "Wicked" through the good graces of a friend who had a friend that did the unthinkable---lucky for me that's how I got to see the Broadway Cast...! This sounds fabulous, I must say.

2:23 AM  
Blogger Carli N. Wendell said...

I had the very unique experience of seeing Eden Espinosa AND Idina Menzel on the same night--IM was sick, and left after intermission, and EE took over. She had so much energy and seemed thrilled to be there. (I saw IM again the next year when my parents treated me to a second helping of Wicked). That first showing, though, was very weird. KC and Joel Grey were both absent, and IM left before intermission. Still, it was one of the best theater-going moments of my life. I waited in the cancellation line for 3 hours, and by the end, I was singing Rose's Turn for my fellow fans. I apologize to them all every day in my mind.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

to my main blog



My Creed



LA gets the brightest Broadway Stars





Next to Normal

BARE

CHESS

INTO THE WOODS

MILLIE

[title of show]

WICKED

Avenue Q

HAIRSPRAY

Triumph of Love, starring Susan Egan, Betty Buckley, Roger Bart

Urinetown ~tho the title sounds gross, the musical is hilarious with fantastic music and an environmental and social message

Miss Saigon


Shephard:
I'm a creative novelist & writer, living in LA with my partner of 20 years and 4 very quirky, lovable cats.





link to 100 Things About Me
Software by:

Powered by Blogger

Blog Design by Shephard, Template by:


2008 Template perfected by Mike


© 2005 'SHEPHARD'S THEATRE ALLEY'