**One Man's Theatre Journal, Nothing more, Nothing less**

Friday, February 09, 2007

The Busy World is Hushed

February 8th, 2007
Skirball Center
play by Keith Bunin


I bought the tickets because it was Jill Clayburgh. She's a wonderful actress, and I figured, how often will I get the chance to see her live?
The other two actors, Hamish Linklater from "The New Adventures of Old Christine" (he plays Christine's brother) and Luke MacFarlane (recurring character on TV's "Brothers & Sisters"), were so well-cast.

Imagine an airy open theatre full of chairs, a small vestigial stage, microphones, and actors wearing headsets, and a Foley artist set-up off stage where all the sound effects (opening/shutting doors, clinking glasses, etc) is created live. It was a new experience for us. I thought I wouldn't be able to get sucked into the play without sets, costumes, props, movement, etc. I was wrong.

Imagine a very unconventional widowed Episcopal Minister (Jill Clayburgh) who hires a young writer (Hamish Linklater) to help her with a scholarly work about a newly discovered biblical gospel. Imagine this young man's life is in turmoil, with his father suffering a brain tumor. Oh, and he's gay. Imagine Hannah (Jill) has an estranged gay son who disappears for years at a time. The emotional struggle between the three unfolds as they all grapple with what they believe about life and death and faith.

Hamish said something very profound that stayed with me. I'll try to quote it as best I can remember. Loosely paraphrasing : "I look around and all I can see is the emptiness of where god should be, but is not. And I'm not sure if that void is the end of my faith, or the beginning."

I was very moved by the play. The writing was wonderful, and it was a rare opportunity to see it with the original cast.

"A complex, thought-provoking look at why religion, faith, and the human heart can't always be reconciled." (Hollywood Reporter)

Oh, and guess who was in the audience with us? *Michael Emerson* (Ben) from LOST. He looked much better after his spinal surgery (wink).



I will likely buy this play on CD once LA Theatre Works releases the performance.
Wish all theatre could be this emotionally satisfying. It was our first visit to The Skirball Center. We'll be returning soon.


1Comments:

Blogger Kong Chang said...

Hi,

I was at the Wednesday night performance, and this was my first time at the Skirball and for this type of play experience and I loved it!

I went to watch it for Luke MacFarlane, whom I adore, so it was a great treat for me to see him perform live, but I also love Jill & Hamish's performance. They really had some great chemistry on stage, all three actors did. :)

I'm heading back again on Saturday for another showcase along with the Q&A "Meet the Artist" they have after the show.

You're lucky you got to sit with Michael Emerson. I wish I was lucky to have some actor sit next to me. LoL. Oh well...at least I had great Section A seats and I was like 8 feet from Luke MacFarlane who was directly in front of me. I couldn't be more happier about the seat I got (getting the same seat on Saturday too).

If it weren't for the fact that I lived in Orange County, I would love to come back and look into some of the other shows. I like how well the performances are.

Btw, the script is available, and you can buy it for $7.50 at http://www.dramatists.com/cgi-bin/db/single.asp?key=3814

I'll be buying my own copy too.

Love your review. I posted a link to it on my fansite to Luke MacFarlane. :)


KC
Maintainer of Luke MacFarlane Fansite

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

to my main blog



My Creed



LA gets the brightest Broadway Stars





Next to Normal

BARE

CHESS

INTO THE WOODS

MILLIE

[title of show]

WICKED

Avenue Q

HAIRSPRAY

Triumph of Love, starring Susan Egan, Betty Buckley, Roger Bart

Urinetown ~tho the title sounds gross, the musical is hilarious with fantastic music and an environmental and social message

Miss Saigon


Shephard:
I'm a creative novelist & writer, living in LA with my partner of 20 years and 4 very quirky, lovable cats.





link to 100 Things About Me
Software by:

Powered by Blogger

Blog Design by Shephard, Template by:


2008 Template perfected by Mike


© 2005 'SHEPHARD'S THEATRE ALLEY'