**One Man's Theatre Journal, Nothing more, Nothing less**

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Sunday in the Park with George


January 30th, 2007
Reprise! Productions, Freud Theatre
Musical, we went with Troy


Starring Manoel Felciano (Sweeney Todd, Brooklyn)
& Kelli O'hara (Light in the Piazza, Pajama Game).
Directed by Jason Alexander.

Pulitzer Prize winning musical inspired by the Georges Seurat’s painting “A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte..” A moving portrait of an artist struggling to reconcile the perfect, imaginary world of his painting with the imperfect, flawed world of real life. Often called a musical masterpiece, its songs stay with you, as do the characters from the artist's painting and real world.

Wow.
For starters, I don't care for the cast recording of this musical, despite the wonderful songs. So I went in expecting very little.

Manoel and Kelli were both amazing. Kelli's voice is an effortless and warm soprano, and her performance added a warmth and empathy to Dot. And Manoel... imagine the vulnerability, enthusiasm (and good looks) of Ewan McGregor combined with the intensity of an artist bent on making the world understand his discoveries. What can be a cold and offputting introverted and isolated character, became an ernest and engaging outcast in Manoel's hands. And what a lovely voice he has.

The set and art direction were superb. The lighting and effects, so crucial in this musical about an artist obsessed with light and color, were flawless.

I actually sat one seat from Jason Alexander, and Troy had him sign my playbill. I never do things like that. But he was so nice.

Reprise continues to blow us away. This production was as good as anything we've seen, on or off Broadway. And I am heartbroken that I can't have this cast on CD.

I love Los Angeles!

2Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Having a bit of trouble getting to this comment corner...
I so wish I could see Carrie Fisher...friends who were here from N.Y. at Thanksgiving just LOVED it!

I did leave a comment on your SUNDAY post, but it doesn't look like it registered....Is blogger acting weird????

9:35 PM  
Blogger Carli N. Wendell said...

I kinda wanna move to L.A. now. . .
Manoel. . . I saw him in Sweeney Todd and felt he was a star in the making. Gorgeous, so freaking talented. . .

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

to my main blog



My Creed



LA gets the brightest Broadway Stars





Next to Normal

BARE

CHESS

INTO THE WOODS

MILLIE

[title of show]

WICKED

Avenue Q

HAIRSPRAY

Triumph of Love, starring Susan Egan, Betty Buckley, Roger Bart

Urinetown ~tho the title sounds gross, the musical is hilarious with fantastic music and an environmental and social message

Miss Saigon


Shephard:
I'm a creative novelist & writer, living in LA with my partner of 20 years and 4 very quirky, lovable cats.





link to 100 Things About Me
Software by:

Powered by Blogger

Blog Design by Shephard, Template by:


2008 Template perfected by Mike


© 2005 'SHEPHARD'S THEATRE ALLEY'