**One Man's Theatre Journal, Nothing more, Nothing less**

Friday, October 05, 2007

Skinner/Ripley: Live at The Pantages

October 1st, 2007
Charity Benefit for Actors Fund, The Pantages Lobby, Hollywood
Cabaret Show



Wow. One of the more memorable nights I'll be looking back on this year.



For starters, it was a chance to see (most of) their cabaret show they did at NYC's Town Hall. And secondly, it was for a great charity. But mostly, it was a rare opportunity to hear them both together. We've seen them on stage a lot, but never in such an intimate and no-holes-barred setting. As B expressed, "I like both of their voices for different reasons." Combine them, and it's a wonderful evening of two very unique and powerful voices... and comedy. :)

As mentioned in my main blog, I did get slightly teary. It's this sort of event that really drives home how special living in this city can be (of course NYC is foremost, but I'm just grateful I live somewhere that trades with NYC once in a while).



My favorite songs of the evening: Alice singing "YOU HAVE TO BE THERE," from Ulvaeus/Anderson (ABBA) musical "Kristina Fran Duvemala." Powerful. And the biggest laugh was Emily raving about Alice's version of the song, and saying sometimes she calls her on the phone and lsings the message: You have to be there, you HAVE to...." (you had to be there). And Emily just blew us all away with her sheer range and control in a song written for Barbara Cook, which I am going to call "HERE COMES THE BALLAD" (I can't remember the name, but it's a very funny send up of divas). And hearing "NO ONE IS ALONE" from "Into the Woods" was thrilling, as were both ballads from "Side Show."



A wonderful evening. More songs would have garnered the 5th star.


~S

Labels:

1Comments:

Blogger Carli N. Wendell said...

The only time I've seen Ripley and Skinner together (though not joined at the hip) was when they were both in Company at the Kennedy Center. I wish I'd seen their act today, instead of Happy Days: The Musical. I was expecting something colosally bad, in a fun way, but instead it was just colasolly bad.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

to my main blog



My Creed



LA gets the brightest Broadway Stars





Next to Normal

BARE

CHESS

INTO THE WOODS

MILLIE

[title of show]

WICKED

Avenue Q

HAIRSPRAY

Triumph of Love, starring Susan Egan, Betty Buckley, Roger Bart

Urinetown ~tho the title sounds gross, the musical is hilarious with fantastic music and an environmental and social message

Miss Saigon


Shephard:
I'm a creative novelist & writer, living in LA with my partner of 20 years and 4 very quirky, lovable cats.





link to 100 Things About Me
Software by:

Powered by Blogger

Blog Design by Shephard, Template by:


2008 Template perfected by Mike


© 2005 'SHEPHARD'S THEATRE ALLEY'