**One Man's Theatre Journal, Nothing more, Nothing less**

Monday, September 24, 2007

Rufus Wainwright Sings Judy at The Bowl



September 23rd, 2007
The Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood, CA
Concert, we went with Troy, Kristen and Davin

Rufus recreated the famous 1961 Judy Garland concert at Carnegie Hall, and he took it to not only Carnegie Hall, but the London Palladium and the Paris Olympia. This Sunday, he played The Hollywood Bowl. It really was a unique and special concert, with appearances by his mother (famous folk singer) Kate McGarrigle, sister Martha (singer) and the real surprise, Judy Garland's daughter Lorna Luft (a brassy belter who wears pink better than anyone I've seen). Hearing Rufus sing Judy's songs was a surprise and a treat. Who'd ever guess he'd do something so innovative?


The best matches for Rufus' voice were the songs The Man That Got Away, Puttin' On the Ritz, Come Rain or Come Shine, Over the Rainbow (with his mom playing piano), Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart and Every Time We Say Goodbye (my favorite of the evening). I've always described Rufus' voice to others as The Human Violin. Such a smooth and rich voice, and a very accomplished and talented song-writer in his own right. Although he had intermittent trouble with his voice during the evening, the songs above were especially flawless. His natural demeanor and sense of humor were very playful, and fun to watch.


(singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow")



Another wonderful evening at The Hollywood Bowl.

~S





(photos copyright ME)

Labels:

4Comments:

Blogger charles said...

He could swoon me anytime!!

-Charles

PS: BUY A LOTTERY TICKET!! LOL

4:56 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It is such a strange concept to me. People trying to re-create the UN-Re-Creatable...! Personally, I much rather listen to the "live" recording of 'the original'. BUT, that is what makes horse racing, isn't it? I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I am not familiar with Rufus Wainright...And I don't know why I'm not! Hmmmmm. I will have to listen to some of his stuff!


Lorna Luft is incredibly talented, I think....She has a one-person show that she has done quite a few places---here in L.A. quite a few years ago...My friends Ken & Mitzie Welch wrote this show with her and for her....It was really fabulous. She did a duet or two WITH her mother--On Film---She did this before other people were doing that, i.e. Natalie Cole...And that was very powerful. But she stands alone as a talent!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Shephard said...

Naomi... Rufus and others wanted to draw attention, help people remember and expose new people to Judy's memory and legacy.

It's also a chance for new voices to have the opportunities to sing those songs in a society that has lost appreciation. Rufus has such an unusual voice, it was a treat to hear him sing these songs. Lorna made a brief but moving speech of thanks to Rufus for getting people to remember her mother fondly.

There were plenty of people in the audience whom I've no doubt hadn't heard some of those songs. But because they're Rufus fans, they were exposed to it. It was more of a loving tribute and a visitation of her memory.

~S :)

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course we were there as well (we seem to be stalking you at all L.A. events). I understand Naomi's concerns but agree with you that it was a fun, unique tribute to Judy Garland's memory and the fact that Lorna was there made it especially poignant. I like Rufus Wainwright very much but think he is far better suited for his own style of singing (and I'm sure he wouldn't disagree with that--he seemed quite clear that this was his last hurrah doing an evening of other people's songs). I'm a big fan of his family's and especially enjoyed Martha Wainwright's two songs. I saw Lorna Luft's show that Naomi mentioned and it was great. She seems like the most "together" offspring (whatever happened to Judy Garland's son?).

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

to my main blog



My Creed



LA gets the brightest Broadway Stars





Next to Normal

BARE

CHESS

INTO THE WOODS

MILLIE

[title of show]

WICKED

Avenue Q

HAIRSPRAY

Triumph of Love, starring Susan Egan, Betty Buckley, Roger Bart

Urinetown ~tho the title sounds gross, the musical is hilarious with fantastic music and an environmental and social message

Miss Saigon


Shephard:
I'm a creative novelist & writer, living in LA with my partner of 20 years and 4 very quirky, lovable cats.





link to 100 Things About Me
Software by:

Powered by Blogger

Blog Design by Shephard, Template by:


2008 Template perfected by Mike


© 2005 'SHEPHARD'S THEATRE ALLEY'