**One Man's Theatre Journal, Nothing more, Nothing less**

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Young Frankenstein


April 6th, 2008
The Hilton Theatre, Broadway (at 42nd)
Musical



Starring:
Roger Bart (Frederick Frankenstein)
Megan Mallally (Elizabeth ~ the Madeline Kahn role)
Shuler Hensley (The Monster)
Fred Applegate (Inspector Kemp/Hermit)
Andrea Martin (Frau Blucher)
Christopher Fitzgerald (Igor)
and Sutton Foster (Inga)

I've read a lot of disparaging remarks about this musical. No, it's not the movie. Get over it and enjoy it for what it is. We had a great time. We laughed and revisited one of our favorite moives, live. We loved Megan Mallally and were impressed with her voice ~her songs suit her range and style. And she was just plain funny!

Sutton Foster was very sweet as Inga.And as expected, Andrea Martin was the perfect Frau Blucher. Fred Applegate made a great hermit, and Christopher Fitzgerald was a real stand-out as Igor (SO intuitively funny, deserves a nomination).And Roger Bart has excellent comedic timing, a great voice and he made us laugh from start to finish. He paired nicely with Christopher as Igor.


We enjoyed the big splashy sets, creative costumes and fun production numbers (where else can you see umpteen tap-dancing Frankenstein monsters?). It was fun. We didn't mind it being a re-framing of the movie. So sue us.

To me, this is a cast-centric production; this is the one and only cast to see in this musical. I knew that going in, and was not going to make the mistake of missing this cast (the way I did with "Spamalot").


Labels:

1Comments:

Blogger Carli N. Wendell said...

I <3 Shuler Hensley and Roger Bart. That's some cast they got together. But I'm not a big fan of Mel Brooks movies (not sure why--the only one I really like is Spaceballs), so I think I'll pass. I'm glad you had fun.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

to my main blog



My Creed



LA gets the brightest Broadway Stars





Next to Normal

BARE

CHESS

INTO THE WOODS

MILLIE

[title of show]

WICKED

Avenue Q

HAIRSPRAY

Triumph of Love, starring Susan Egan, Betty Buckley, Roger Bart

Urinetown ~tho the title sounds gross, the musical is hilarious with fantastic music and an environmental and social message

Miss Saigon


Shephard:
I'm a creative novelist & writer, living in LA with my partner of 20 years and 4 very quirky, lovable cats.





link to 100 Things About Me
Software by:

Powered by Blogger

Blog Design by Shephard, Template by:


2008 Template perfected by Mike


© 2005 'SHEPHARD'S THEATRE ALLEY'